Mondays at 8pm the world stops. It's Bauer time. Now some of you may watch 24, some not, but I urge you to join in on our savior Jack Bauer as he yet again stops a nuclear bomb, prevents the spreading of a virus, or simply beats ass. I was not a fan until a few months ago after my brother and sisters repeated attempts to take me to the other side. There were two reasons I didn't want to join the obsession. 1: I thought this would be cheating on my favorite spy of all time, Sydney Bristow. If you don't know who Sydney Bristow is, that would mean you are not my friend, and you should stop reading this blog immediately. 2: 24 was about to enter its 8th season and I figured why start now. Boy was I wrong! After continued badgering I said why not, I'll try out season one and see what I think. One of the best television decisions of my life! Yes Matt and Michelle, you can quote me on that one. I surrender. Suddenly I found myself jobless, in a dark bedroom, completing 7 seasons and the 2 hour 24 movie in 3 weeks. Sick? Maybe. Impressive? You betcha. Now every Monday at 8pm, my brother, my sister, and I huddle around our basement TV to watch one hour of knife flinging, brutal torturing, and attempted terrorism. Following last weeks episode, my friend Caryn, a fellow Bauer enthusiast, and I were discussing that latest episode of 24. We started talking about "what if one of our friends was like Jack Bauer and nobody ever knew it?" So we started with our most ridiculous friends, BD the suave banker, Corn the boy who thinks he is a raptor when intoxicated, Sammy who calls people names like "babies" and "my little sweeties," or Dan who knows more words to the High School Musical soundtrack then most 12 year-old girls. Although great friends, I don't really imagine them diffusing bombs and saving America on a daily basis. But who am I to judge? So I ask you to think about your friends who seem like they just don't belong in the spy world? Yes this conversation makes no sense since none us are or ever will be spies, but still pretty funny to think about. What if when your friend was "going to work," "babysitting," "going to class," or "blacked out," they were really saving the country for our fellow Americans? Keifer Sutherland plays a great Jack Bauer, yet he has his alcoholic troubles of his own...
Would you really think Jack Bauer would be one of the greatest spies of all time if you saw him like this?
2011 Summer Vacation Overview
14 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment