It you think this post is going to be anything about our tall Greek friend Johnny, you're wrong. Other Johnny. The better one. Johnny Depp and Tim Burton are two of my favorite people in Hollywood. And they are bffl. When Tim starts a new movie, its become pretty standard that Johnny will star and his wife, Helena Bonham Carter, also might co-star. Tim Burton has become pretty famous for his dark, making it somewhat comical, view of a situation. It kind of like looking at the world through Katy's eyes. Although I am huge Tim fan, I noticed that many of my friends haven't seen some of his greatest movies. So, I wanted to talk about some of the most notable ones that you should take some time out to watch. Edward Scissorhands is one of my favorite movies of all time. The movie follows a "man" created with scissors as hands who lives in an abandoned manor. He is taken in to a neighborhood by a naive sweet woman. Somehow this ridiculous plot makes me cry my eyes out every time. Definitely take note to the pastel rows of houses and pretty sweet looking neighborhood. The next movie is a great one I'm sure many have seen. Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice! I absolutely love this movie! After years and years it never gets old. Winona Ryder stars in both these movies, yet in this one she discovers a fantasy world of the dead. Its completely weird, unrealistic, and great. I'm pretty sure the dead on the "other side" look something like I do after a rough weekend in Milwaukee. Lastly, my absolute favorite Tim Burton movie Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. Although Johnny was nominated for an Oscar and won the Globe for his role as Sweeney, I don't think a lot of people really acknowledged the movie as much as it should have been. Yes, the subject matter is a little different and some may think a little frightening, but its a movie I recommend you give a chance! The movie is based on both a movie and stage musical. Apparently when Tim asked Johnny to come aboard for the film he had never even heard Johnny sing a tune, but he just knew. Like when guys see me, they just know I'm the woman from their dreams... Anyways, Johnny can definitely sing! Sweeney Todd is a barber that seeks revenge on the man that mistreated him in his past, resulting in furious rage causing him to kill all men that enter his barber shop with a quick slit of the throat...oh yeah and then use they're bodies to make meat pies. Obviously. The entire movie is shown through black and white tones and dark scenery. Until the blood! The blood is the most vibrant of all reds, making it that much cooler and farfetched. Also, as I have mentioned, the movie is a musical! All the actors in the movie are great really great singers. And for you Harry Potter fans, we have a few alums carrying a tune, Snape, Bellatrix, and Peter Pettigrew. Even though the songs generally talk about eating human pies and murdering innocents, they are quite catchy. The CD is actually in my car right now. I wonder if people think I'm a freak when they see me at a stop light singing "They alllllll deserve to die!" Its honestly an awesome movie and I hope you all get a chance to try it out. I think you will be presently surprised! Cannot wait till Alice in Wonderland!!!
Tim movie I didn't really like: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Other great Tim movies: James and the Giant Peach, Batman, Batman Returns, The Nightmare Before Christmas
Other Tim movies I still need to see: 9, Corpse Bride
Is that Edward Scissorhands or Dietz?
2011 Summer Vacation Overview
14 years ago

I could take him...
ReplyDeletePS, you should post a current picture of Roger Ebert, seeing how this blog commemorates him. He doesn't look so good.